Urban transit has had a long and varied history in Anderson from the old interurban born in 1897 to the establishment of the present public transit system in 1973. Originally established as a municipal transit utility, the City of Anderson Transportation System (CATS) became a City department in 1982.
The CATS Bus Terminal is currently located at 1109 Main Street in Downtown Anderson. This structure was constructed around 1975 and is know for its 'gazebo-like' shape. This is the current location where people catch the bus in Downtown Anderson.
The administration offices and garage are located at 530 Dale Keith Jones Road. This structure was completely renovated in 2012 inside and outside by staff. Recycled cabinets, ceiling tiles, floor tiles, drywall, trim, and a portion of the carpet were used as well as new paint and carpet. The exterior was completely painted by summer help to cut down costs and they did an outstanding job! Landscaping also gave the building new life and was completed by staff and community justice volunteers.
In November, 2013, CATS took advantage of a new Commercial and Industrial rebate through the Energizing Indiana Program for the installation of new LED lighting for our garage.
The three major goals of the City of Anderson Transportation System are:
To provide convenient, reliable, safe, and comfortable service to all patrons
To provide fixed route and demand-responsive services as efficiently and equitably as possible
To maximize potential ridership within the parameters set by CATS’ service area and available funds
No service is offered on Sundays, or the following holidays: